NATIONAL NEWS - The May/June matric exams are being postponed, said the department of basic education (DBE) earlier today in a press release.
These exams were to be written by more than 350 000 part-time candidates, including those who did not meet the pass requirements in the 2019 final exams.
The Director-General of the DBE, Mathanzima Mweli, has written a letter to the heads of provincial education informing them about the changes to the plans for the examinations. In his letter he speaks about the 21 day lockdown period that has passed and the extended two weeks until 30 April. “This has resulted in a disruption to schooling and hence the writing of May/June 2020 examinations has to be re-scheduled,” Mweli said.
These exams, according to the DBE, were scheduled to start on Monday 4 May 2020 and conclude on Friday 26 June. “At the HEDCOM meeting of 10 April it was agreed that the May/June examinations should be merged with the November 2020 examinations.”
The details regarding the merged June and November examinations will be communicated in due course. Candidates will be informed regarding registration, examination centers and time-tables.
The Department urges all candidates to continue their preparations. “Learning and revision material has been made available on the department's website.”
The Second Chance matric support programme link on the website is still available to assist especially those who had been studying independently as part-time candidates.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'