LIFESTYLE NEWS - Salads don’t have to be boring and the same old green ingredients. With the beautiful summer this country has, use the produce that is on offer.
From fruits to traditional flavours such as boerewors, mangoes and local favourites such as salted peanuts with the help of Asian influence.
This salad bowl recipe is still healthy and courtesy of SA Mangoes.
Mango and noodle sesame salad with Asian flavours
- 2 large mangoes, sliced
- 300g dried rice noodles
- 1 cup red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced into ribbons
- 2 large handfuls of bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Handful of mint leaves
- Handful of basil leaves
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 2 heaped tablespoons salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons hulled sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
For the noodle dressing:
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
For the spicy peanut dressing:
- 125g smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried chillies
- 1 ½ teaspoons soy sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 180ml water
- To make the dressing for the noodles: whisk together all the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved. Then whisk in 4 tablespoons cold water and set aside.
- Place the noodles in a large, heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for 15 minutes until soft. Drain, rinse well under cold water and drain again. Once cool and completely drained, toss the dressing through the noodles and set aside.
- To make the spicy peanut dressing: in small bowl whisk together the peanut butter, garlic powder, ginger, crushed dried chillies, soy sauce, lime juice and vinegar. Stir in the water until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Arrange the noodles on a platter and scatter over all the salad ingredients, and gently toss to combine Serve with the peanut sauce.