LIFESTYLE NEWS - Comfort your family with this traditional Austrian beef goulash soup – nourishing, hearty and rich in flavour.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 250g boneless, cubed beef
- ¼ cup red wine (optional or substitute for alcohol-free wine)
- 4 cups warm beef stock
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Chopped chives
- Crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, marjoram, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the beef and fry, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover, and cook for 40 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for a further 30 minutes until the potatoes and meat are fork-tender.
- Season the soup to taste, ladle into bowls and top each portion with a dollop of sour cream.
- Sprinkle some chives on top and serve with freshly baked bread.
Recipe supplied by Constantia Glen