Knowing the tricks of the trade around the kitchen might just be the key to saving you time when preparing food.
Tuesday, 19 September 2017, 11:45
There are many different ways to peel a boiled egg without creating a mess.
LIFESTYLE NEWS - Everyone who loves preparing food for themselves and their family has their own way of approaching the process so that it saves them time. Here are five tricks that you can add to your repertoire of kitchen hacks.
Here are some hacks to help you along:
1. Don’t let that chopping board slip Put a damp cloth underneath your chopping board to give it a bit of a grip. You won’t have any food falling off onto the counter any time soon.
2. Peel a boiled egg without a mess There are many different ways to peel a boiled egg without creating a mess. One way is wet your hands and roll the egg on a counter top until the shell crushes all over. Once it is crushed all over, use your hand to peel it and it should all peel at one go. Adding a ½ spoon of baking soda will also help the shell peel off easily.
3. Best way to juice a lemon? If you are looking to make some lemon juice and your lemons are too hard, put them in the microwave for 15 seconds. Take them out and then cut them in half to juice them, they should be softer and far juicier.
4. Want to remove the strawberry top and leaves? Use a straw and poke it through the middle of the strawberry and it should push through the leaves at the top part.
5. Looking for a spoon rest? Use the hole in the pot handle to put your wooden spoon. It acts as a spoon rest and the drips will drop back into the pot.
6. Want to soften butter? The best way to soften butter without melting it is to pour boiling water into a glass. Once the water has heated the glass, pour it out and place the glass upside down over the butter. It will soften it instantly.
If you are looking to make some lemon juice and your lemons are too hard, put them in the microwave for 15 seconds.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Karoo, Hessequa news'