GEORGE NEWS - Illegal dumping is not just the phrase of the moment. It can be a real threat to the health and sustainability of people, plants and animals.
The responsibility to not destroy the planet we live on lies on the shoulders of each and every individual. Let's take ownership for the well-being of all!
We can start by making use of the rubbish removal services delivered to us by the municipality.
There's no need to take your rubbish somewhere else and dump it illegally - it gets collected on your doorstep!
The George Municipality issued the following tips for putting out waste:
- A maximum of seven black refuse bags are permitted per household per week.
- Bags must only be put out in the morning from 07:00 and must not be so heavy that the staff can't handle the bags.
- As far as possible try to put in as little waste food in the bags as possible. Try composting as an alternative.
- Garden waste, but not soil, can be bagged.
- Recyclable material such as cans, plastic, paper and glass must be placed in the recycling blue bags.
- Rinse recycling material before placing it in the blue bags.
- Items that are too large to be placed in black bags such as mattresses, appliances and computers must be taken to the transfer station by the owner.
- Report illegal dumping. And when you do, please provide as much information as possible:
- Your name and surname as the complainant
- Your physical address / contact details as complainant
- The perpetrator's vehicle registration number and/or colour.
- The type of waste dumped.
Report illegal dumping to the Law Enforcement Office on 044 801 6350.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'