GEORGE NEWS - George Municipality has issued a reminder that recycling bags are not to be put out this week (Monday 3 August - Friday 7 August) as collection will not take place.
Collection of green and blue bags will only start on Tuesday 11 August. The bags will be collected on the same days as black bag refuse removal.
As of 11 August, the collection and delivery of blue and green bags will be handled in-house. This follows the announcement of the unfortunate closure of Interwaste. The Community Services Directorate requests the patience of the public for one week to afford them the opportunity to put everything in place for a smooth collection process to start on 11 August.
Municipal trucks will collect the black bags, while blue and green bags will be collected by different trucks on the same day – before or after the black bag collection, and can be hours apart. Every week on the same day as collection, blue bags will be replaced and two green bags will replace those put out.
The areas currently serviced by recycling include all suburbs of George as well as the outer areas of Wilderness, Kleinkrantz, Hoekwil, Victoria Bay, Herold's Bay, Haarlem and Uniondale.
Black bags, blue and green bags, dumped waste collection:
George Municipality Environmental Services, 82 Meade Street, George
Phone 044 802 2900
Households may put out seven black, three green and an unlimited number of blue bags. Additional tied bundles of branches are allowed if they are shorter than a metre in length and can be picked up by one person.
BLUE bags are for non-soiled recyclable materials, including plastic, paper, card board, glass etc.
GREEN bags are for green waste, including organic kitchen waste such as fruit and vegetable peels, as well as garden waste, including grass cuttings, leaves etc. No soil is allowed in the green bags.
BLACK bags are for items that cannot be recycled.
All refuse bags must be put out by 07:00 on removal day.
Please don’t put bags out the day or night before removal.
Please wrap broken glass in newspaper before placing in bags to prevent injuries to workers.
A pack of 26 black bags is distributed to households quarterly.
Collected full blue bags will be replaced with the same colour on the same day. If you do not receive the same amount of replacement blue bags and want more, please phone 044 802 2900 during office hours.
While you can put out three green bags at a time, a maximum of two new replacement green bags are issued per collection.
Households or businesses that are actively recycling and require additional green or blue bags, can collect from the municipal Environmental Services offices at 82 Meade Street.
Refuse removal days
- MONDAY: Blanco, Riverlea, Heatherpark, Heatherlands, Glen Barrie, Kraaibosch, Groenkloof, Blue Mountain Village, Herold's Bay, Victoria Bay
- TUESDAY: Levallia, Rosemoor, Conville, Protea Park, Parkdene, Ballotsview, Borchards, Lawaaikamp, Thembalethu, Wilderness (excluding Wilderness Heights), Touwsranten, Constantia Kloof
- WEDNESDAY: Camphersdrift, Fernridge, Denneoord, Bo-Dorp, Blommekloof, Tweerivieren, Hoogekraal, Hoekwil
- THURSDAY: Wilderness Heights, Dormehlsdrift, George South, Le Grand, Bos en Dal, Groeneweidepark, Sinksabrug, Herold, Geelhoutboom, Eselsjacht, Hansmoeskraal, Jonkershoek, Rooirivierrif, Pacaltsdorp, Rosedale, Waboomskraal
- FRIDAY: Glenwood, Loerie Park, Eden, Genevafontein, Denver Park, Bergsig, Eastern Extension
- BUSINESSES: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'