GEORGE NEWS - Community Services administration offices are closed during lockdown.
Black bag refuse removal remains as per the usual schedule (please see below). Collection time may extend into the night (until about 8pm) as amount of trucks out on the streets will be reduced to limit exposure to staff and other parties, but all refuse will be collected on the scheduled day.
If black bags have not been collected by 20:00 please report to 044 801 6300.
Blue and green bags will not be collected due to the private service provider being in lockdown.
If possible, please continue to recycle and keep blue bags for collection after lockdown ends, otherwise place in black bags. Please continue to put garden waste into green bags and store at home until end of lockdown.
Refuse removal on public holidays in the lockdown period will be as follows:
- 10 April Good Friday – refuse will be collected on Thursday 9 April
- 13 April Family Day – refuse will be collected on Tuesday 14 April
Collections start at 07:00 and may extend into the night to accommodate the double schedule.
Refuse Removal Days
- Monday: Blanco, Riverlea, Heatherpark, Heatherlands, Glen Barrie, Kraaibosch, Groenkloof, Blue Mountain Village, Herold’s Bay, Victoria Bay
- Tuesday: Levallia, Rosemoor, Conville, Protea Park, Parkdene, Ballotsview, Borchards, Lawaaikamp, Thembalethu, Wilderness, Touwsranten, Constantia Kloof
- Wednesday: Camphersdrift, Fernridge, Denneoord, Bo-Dorp, Blommekloof, Tweerivieren, Hoogekraal, Hoekwil
- Thursday: Dormehlsdrift, George South, Le Grand, Bos en Dal, Groeneweidepark, Sinksabrug, Herold, Geelhoutboom, Eselsjacht, Hansmoeskraal, Jonkershoek, Rooirivierrif, Pacaltsdorp, Rosedale, Waboomskraal
- Friday: Glenwood, Loerie Park, Eden, Genevafontein, Denver Park, Bergsig, Eastern Extension
- Applicable business: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Report uncollected black bags to 044 801 6300.
Waste dumping at the landfill site will be strictly controlled and only two vehicles allowed on site at any time. Only businesses on the essential services list will be allowed and limited to two loads a day.
Only municipal vehicles, the blue bags service provider and businesses on the essential services list will be allowed into the transfer station and only two vehicles allowed on site at a time and limited to two loads a day.
Street cleaning crews will operate in and around the CBD and entrance roads to the city at selected hours, seven days a week.
Public toilets are closed until further notice as per the national directive.
Illegal dumping will be attended to as per the usual schedule. The municipality appeals to communities to remain safe and not dump illegal waste, which can be hazardous to their health.
Cemeteries are open for funerals only (funeral directors to pre-arrange via usual WhatsApp group). Funerals restricted to 50 mourners, limited to 30 minutes and mourners required to observe recommended hygiene practices as per Covid-19 guidelines and protocols. No buses allowed. No night vigils allowed anywhere at any time.
Sport facilities are closed, and security remains in place to protect facilities. The municipality has made facilities temporarily available for social welfare purposes.
Social Development administration offices are closed during lockdown.
The municipality continues to support 130 municipal soup kitchens. Strict social distancing and hygienic practices apply.
The municipality is working with the Western Cape Department of Social Development to address matters arising with people living on the streets,
Emergency essential social services enquiries 072 693 3488.
Libraries remain closed until further notice.
Corporate Services administration offices are closed during lockdown.
Area offices are closed but urgent essential services in outlying areas can be phoned in during offices on the numbers below and 044 801 6300 after hours.
Blanco: 065 907 6647
Conville: 078 610 9482
Pacaltsdorp: 073 834 2256
Protea Park: 084 097 2471
Rosedale: 073 071 0849
Rosemoor: 083 661 3655
Touwsranten/Wilderness/Kleinkrantz: 078 372 5843
Thembalethu: 082 704 3491
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'