GARDEN ROUTE NEWS - As with all urban centres, petty crime can occur in the Garden Route, so residents and visitors are urged to be vigilant and always use common sense when out and about.
Consider these safety precautions:
• Always keep a copy of your identity document and passport on your person.
• Use accredited booking agents and choose accommodation that has been graded or endorsed by a local tourism authority.
• Avoid carrying large sums of cash, and try not to have expensive jewellery and cameras in plain site.
• Do not leave belongings unattended. Keep your money in a money belt under your clothing.
• Do not go into unknown areas alone. Heed advice from your hosts on places to avoid after dark.
• Be aware of suspicious-looking characters.
• Do not let strangers assist you at ATMs.
• Always let somebody know where you are going and how long you will be.
• Streetchildren and beggars may approach you, please give food instead of money.
• Always ask for the identity of safety officials. You have the right to ask officers to identify themselves with their cards.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route news'