GEORGE NEWS - George libraries will reopen to the public on Monday (8 February) with Covid-19 measures in place. The facilities have been closed since December 2020 when national and local infection rates reached its peak.
George Acting Municipal Manager Dr Michele Gratz said libraries offered a valuable service to communities and the municipality was glad that these facilities could now reopen following a significant decrease in Covid-19 cases and recently announced amendments to Level 3 restrictions.
“It is especially good that our libraries in Thembalethu and Pacaltsdorp can reopen as these have been closed for longer as they were situated in former Covid-19 hotspots,” said Dr Gratz.
Safety of staff and patrons remains of utmost importance and all Covid-19 protocols are in place at all libraries.
Opening hours remain reduced and admittance to the George Main Library remains by appointment only while the community libraries will be access-restricted based on the amount of people inside the library according to the size of the facility.
George Libraries Manager Rachel Williams welcomed back all library users and thanked them for their ongoing patience and consideration during challenging times.
“Library users who have material on loan from before libraries closed need not worry about any fines as materials were automatically renewed during the most recent closure.
“We are also launching a service in which patrons can select books via the online library portal (see details below) and email a list of materials they want to loan. Librarians will make up piles of available materials and arrange a time for collection.
"You can also phone your librarian to inquire about a book-by-phone service,” said Ms Willams.
Library services remain limited as follows:
- Issue and return of books.
- Ten books per library member for lending period of a month at a time.
- Admittance to adults and children older than 12.
- Children’s section is closed to children, but adults can take out books on behalf of children.
- Research and reference services arranged by phone and/or email.
- Internet services - preference given to pre-booked patrons, maximum two people at any given time.
- Study area limited in compliance with regulations.
- Wearing of masks and sanitising of hands are compulsory.
- Your temperature will be taken before entering the library area, no admittance if it is 37.5C and higher.
Library materials handed in will be quarantined for 72 hours as per national and Western Cape safety standards and plastic covered materials wiped with sanitiser before being made available for loan.
- Avontuur Library: 044 752 3351 email@example.com - Monday 12pm-3pm, Tuesday 11am-2pm, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-1pm.
- Blanco Library: 044 870 7047 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm
- Conville Library: 044 801 9320 Jrhode1@george.gov.za - Monday 9am-4pm
- George Library: 044 801 9288 email@example.com - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm, Saturday 9am-12pm
- Haarlem Library: 044 763 1023 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday, Thursday and Friday 2pm-5pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 2pm-5pm
- Noll Library: 044 745 1014 email@example.com - Monday and Wednesday 12pm-3pm, Saturday 9am-12pm
- Pacaltsdorp Library: 044 803 9340 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 9am-4.30pm
- Thembalethu Library: 044 803 9260 email@example.com - Monday to Friday 9am-4.30pm
- Touwsranten Library: 044 803 9285 firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 9am-4pm
- Uniondale Library: 044 752 1024 email@example.com - Monday to Friday 10am-4.30pm
- Waboomskraal Library: firstname.lastname@example.org - Monday to Friday 10am-2pm
You can search online according to author, title, subjects, keyword, publisher or ISBN number.
Type in your library number on your card to check your library materials status including due date and opportunity to renew your books yourself.
'We bring you the latest George, Garden Route news'