LIFESTYLE NEWS - With winter around the corner, it is time again to protect oneself against contracting influenza.
The Western Cape Department Health has a number of tips on preventative measures that will lower your risk of getting flu:
1. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others.
2. If possible, stay home from work, school or errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
3. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
4. Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
5. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
6. Practise other good health habits: Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
Vaccination is currently available, free of charge, at community health centres and clinics to people who are at high risk for influenza-related complications because of underlying medical conditions.
Visit your nearest clinic for more information.