Holiday Guide 2014|2015
Download Sport Guide
Arts & Entertainment
Download TV Guide
Submit an Event
The Jolly Lama
Those Camera Guys
Inspirasie viri Nasie
Life in the Slow Lane
Looking for a Car?
Wage demands led to racist chants
John Bruiners swinging a dead cat during Tuesday’s protest march. Photo: Lizette da Silva
GEORGE NEWS - The SA Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) has used the platform of wage demands to also air workers’ grievances.
On Monday Samwu members handed over a document of six pages containing grievances and requests at the Eden District Municipality offices to Executive Mayor of Eden Wessie van der Westhuizen.
The document states that "since Mr Godfrey Louw has returned as municipal manager, he has made his retribution and revenge against those who he regards as not being his ‘friends’ very clear".
The rest of the memorandum reads:
"This Council has moved from one blunder to another, the latest being:
1. Causing wasteful and fruitless expenditure retaining two senior white officials who were transferred to George Municipality at an estimated cost of R1 million.
The decision by Mr Louw shows his total disregard for legislation by keeping Mr Faan van der Merwe and Ms Erina de Villiers without job descriptions.
This is a clear sign of the DA’s attack on black professionals and preferential treatment for whites.
The cost to company salary package of Faan van der Merwe cost this Council + R 700 000 per annum and yet this council does not have money for salary increases for lower paid staff and Faan van der Merwe is roaming around the offices.
2. The contracts of more than 221 temporary staff members - all of whom were black young people were cancelled without following any legal and human resources processes.
3. He moved only white employees into his office and redeployed highly qualified black employees to other departments.
4. Under the lea-dership of the DA and Louw, Eden DM will now buy a Dodge SUV for the executive mayor at huge costs of close to R500 000 whilst not a single project was implemented in the last three months and there’s no money for salary increases for SAMWU staff.
5. Under the leadership of the DA and Louw a company was awarded an open-end contract to supply EDM with equipment for the Disaster Management Centre. Three years later over R8,3-million was spent and yet the equipment does not belong to Eden DM.
6. R60 000 relocation cost was paid out to an official, Ms Fathiema Hassain Watney to relocate to Oudtshoorn from George. Louw moved her back to the head office because she is one of his close friends and she did not pay back a single cent of the taxpayer’s money. And yet the executive mayor and Louw are silent on this matter.
It is known to Samwu that Ms Hassain Watney is a loyal DA supporter and ally.
Van der Westhuizen responded to the Samwu momorandum by saying he believes in the democratic process and has nothing to hide.
"New allegations were made this morning and I intend investigating."
At a press conference Van der Westhuizen said Samwu demands are unrea-listic and can not be attained in the current economic climate.
He added that he stands for a clean administration and that he would never go out of his way to ruin people’s lives.
Van der Westhuizen expressed his disappointment about racist chants by the protestors including "Kill the boer - kill the farmer".
"After 17 years of democracy such eruptions are offensive," he said.
ARTICLE: CHRISTO VERMAAK, GEORGE HERALD REPORTER
07:19 (GMT+2), Thu, 18 August 2011
3 years ago
There are no words to explain this atrocity. Again i must say this as i did on facebook pic's also from the Herald. The agencies that arrange these strikes must be taken into account for the killing of animals, the biological hazards caused from burning tiers and the property that gets damaged they must pay for these things. They are quick to say things are not being done correct and that we are racist bu you never see us doing these things what must people from over seas not think of us when they look at this??? These strikes are cause allot of damage for our image in tourism especially for us in George that are dependent. If they want to strike they must congregate at the local stadiums so they can be kept in control cause these savages are totally out of control!!!
3 years ago
THIS IDIOT NEEDS TO BE ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY AND AN EXAMPLE NEEDS TO BE MADE OF HIM.
BELIEVE ME IF HE IS NOT THE SAVAGE WHO KILLED THE CAT – HE WILL SURE BE QUICK TO SAY WHO DID
THIS HAS MADE ME SO ANGRY - I'D LIKE TO PUT A PLASTIC BAG OVER THIS SAVAGES HEAD AND SWING HIM FROM A POLE
you will be directed to the registration page. Once you have completed the registration process, please return to this page.
New Zealand Dollar
Get your free daily horoscope + free daily forecast below.
Choose your zodiac sign:
March 21 - April 19
September 23 - October 22
April 20 - May 20
October 23 - November 21
May 21 - June 20
November 22 - December 21
June 21 - July 22
December 22 - January 19
July 23 - August 22
January 20 - February 18
August 23 - September 22
February 19 - March 20
The Riot Club
Pitch Perfect 2
The Barden Bellas are back and this time around, the film focuses on Beca...
More Movie Trailers >
Air hockey is one of everyone's favorite challenges! Represent your...
Mini Pool 3
This is the most advanced edition of the popular online version of Pool...
In this Digital Domino Game all the rules are the same as the real game....
The classic mind-wracking math puzzle game is now online! With a brad new...
More Games >
Are you more cautious of the ocean after 2 recent shark attacks in the Garden Route?
Yes, for sure
I'm a 54 year old man looking to meet women between the ages of 35 and 52.
I'm a 44 year old man looking to meet women between the ages of 18 and 100.
View more profiles...
I'm a 38 year old woman looking to meet men between the ages of 30 and 46.
I'm a 31 year old woman looking to meet men between the ages of 30 and 40.
View more profiles...
More Group Editors Publications & Online Platforms
Copyright © 2015 Group Editors Co PTY Ltd t/a George Herald